Saturday, September 1, 2012

Missing In Action


I used to be such a prolific blogger!

Now, my blog is all dusty (figuratively, of course) and neglected.

You see, I am writing a book.  (Shhh!  It's kind of a secret.)

Writing a book is hard!  What was I thinking? 

And I don't even want to ponder the editing part of it.  Right now, I'm just writing, writing.

I write on weekend nights, for about three hours each session.  I would think that in three hours, I'd get a lot more written, but apparently, the thinking part of writing takes some time, too.

I have no idea how long my book will be, or where it will end.  Or how it will end.  I have discovered, though, that writing a book is like watching a movie; I'm immersed in the story, and I can't wait to see where it will go; what turns it will take in the road.  It's kind of like songwriting.

I've only written 149 pages so far (and 42,300 words, but who's counting?)  It seems like way more!  And I already know that I won't be using all those in the end.  I, alas, have a long way to go.

I have to constantly remind myself of the old songwriter's adage:  Show; don't tell.  It's not a lecture; it's a book.

So, I'll try to keep checking in from time to time, and maybe (like today) write more than a one-word post.


And one day, who knows when, I will join the ranks of all the self-published authors whose books are never read.  Just like us songwriters.













No comments: