Friday, August 15, 2008

Mishearing Things

Do you ever mis-hear something, and then you're kind of embarrassed, yet if you haven't told anyone, it's not embarrassing, but actually funny.

It seems like the only TV I see is commercials. That's because my husband has a "remote" issue. Every time I get interested in a program, CLICK. That channel is gone. That's why I read a lot.

Anyway, I had the day off today, so I switched on the TV while I was making my breakfast/lunch. The old All State Insurance commercial was running.

Of course, I know this NOW, but for the longest time, I thought the guy was saying, "That's All State, Stan."
And I couldn't figure out why he was calling me "Stan". And he seemed really serious about it, too. As if I (Stan) needed to pay close attention to what he was saying.

At first I wondered, is this some kind of gimmick? He's trying to personalize it by addressing "Stan" directly? And what's up with Stan? Does Stan have a lot of fender-benders? Is Stan the only one who needs good car insurance?

Well, after seeing that commercial about 1,000 times, I finally figured out that he was saying, "That's All State's stand".

But I'm still not switching to All State. Because it seems like the only person they're interested in is Stan.

You be the judge:

No comments: