Saturday, May 24, 2008

Eddy Arnold

I didn't mean to overlook the passing of Eddy Arnold. It's just that I was on vacation, and then other stuff came up, but that's no excuse, really.

Aside from Kitty Wells, I think Eddy was the last of the country music pioneers.

Here's a song that Eddy recorded in 1945:

CATTLE CALL



This is a very sweet performance by Eddy, from 1996. It's kind of an infectious tune, don't you think? I remember, my friend and I never knew the exact words to the song, so we just made up our own. If I remember correctly, they were something stupid like this;

The coyotes are howling
And I'm here a'scowling
Way out where the doggies roam

Obviously, that wasn't quite correct.

Here's another hit from Eddy:

ANYTIME



How about this for an old video?

I'LL HOLD YOU IN MY HEART



This is arguably Eddy's second most famous song. I couldn't find a video of Eddy performing it, but I think Willie makes a good stand-in.

YOU DON'T KNOW ME



My all-time favorite Eddy Arnold song is this one. This was one of my dad's favorite songs, and therefore, one of mine.

MAKE THE WORLD GO AWAY



For you young'ns in the crowd, here's the song (or part of it) performed by Carrie Underwood and Brad Paisley:



What binds us to certain artists, I think, is the memories attached to their songs. I remember my dad singing, "Make The World Go Away" around the house when I was just a kid.

So, when I think of the passing of Eddy, I think about my dad, and how much he loved that song.

So, Eddy, maybe you and my dad can get a jam session going now, and have some fun doing that number. That'd be something to see.

No comments: